Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym: Evaluation of its Pros and Cons
The Bowflex PR1000 is a popular home gym equipment today. In recent years, there has been a rise of investing in home gym equipment. Doing exercises at home is becoming a trend due to busy workout schedules, crowded gym, and rising costs of gym memberships.
People would switch to investing in home gym equipment rather than go to the gym or exercise outdoors. Moreover, serious muscle builders would prefer home exercises than the gym because there is a decline of quality weight training in gyms, according to Frederic Delavier, author of the Strength Training Anatomy Workout. Some gyms would invest in group classes and cardio exercise than muscle building.
In this article, we’ll discuss when does gym equipment started and what are its benefits. We’ll also tackle one of the home gym equipment which is the Bowflex PR1000.
History of Gym Equipment
To some of us, going to the gym is really challenging. But imagine how do the gym and its equipment looks like hundreds of years ago? At that time, there were no crazy contraptions, workout gear, and high-tech gadgets like iPods.
The Ancient Greeks started the concept of sports equipment and Olympic athleticism almost 3,000 years ago. They first made the ‘halteres’ or now the dumbbell or kettlebell. It is originally a chunk of rock with a big hole in the middle to allow athletes to hold it better.
In the 19th century, Friedrich Ludwig Jahn from Germany created the parallel bars, the balance beam, and the rings which are used in gymnastics. His inventions spread in Europe and other parts of the world.
Meanwhile, before electric treadmills; people have used wooden slats which rotated in two rolling drums. They also wear odd looking cotton outfits and hard shoes since Nike and Spandex are not yet invented. The treadmill then evolved to include fabric hand rest and walking belt rather than wood by the 1930s.
Crazy machines begin to appear in the early 20th century, such as a broncho machine and a machine that vibrates in the belly to get rid of excess fat. There were even exercise bikes with big dials that show how much energy is generated by users.
Mr. Arthur Jones created the Nautilus, the first exercise machine in 1970 that made people exercise better and simpler.
Although the gears, specifics, and outfits of the machines years ago are different today, the functions of this equipment are similar.
These equipment are now being used not only in the gym but also inside the house. Treadmills, dumbbells, and bars were now used at home because people wanted to gain benefits effectively.
Benefits of Home Gym
There are various benefits of investing in a home gym equipment. Here are the following:
- Home is the best place to practice a program that suits you- According to Frederic Delavier, some gym-goers would find it strange to see serious people in their workout inside the gym. Going to a gym means being sociable but it can sometimes yield to poor results. Thus, the best option is to practice a program that suits you inside your home.
- Be able to use the equipment effectively- Some people go to the gym because of peers and they take the workouts lightly. Oftentimes, they choose equipment that looks nice rather than it works well. This can lead to ineffective results in the end. Whereas in home exercises, you can use effectively the equipment you bought for your specific goals. You’ve bought it personally and you’ll know how it can work well with your body.
- Concentrate well in a workout– Doing exercises at home is better since you can concentrate well, there will be fewer distractions, and you’ll become more focused.
- Save time– Working at home can save your time from traveling to the gym. You can also perform your routines at any part of the day even if it is morning, afternoon, or night time. One can also have it in between work, chores, or studies.
- Exercise minus the ego-People often perform hazardous routines in the gym to showcase and compete with other gym-goers. This can possibly lead to higher risk of injury and slower progress. Meanwhile, working at home is effective since there is no one to impress with and no one is watching how you work.
Examples of Home gym equipment to own
There are many home gym equipment that one can own such as the following:
- Ab wheel
- Adjustable sit up bench
- Chin up bars
- Dumbbells, Barbells, and plate set
- Elliptical machine
- Exercise bikes
- Jumping rope
- Place mats
- Punching bags
- Resistance bands
- Rowing machines
- Stability ball
- Step platform
You can first invest in one piece and if you have enough money, you can buy a pair. The tip in buying home gym tools is to know your body’s needs, your space at home, and your budget. It is also best to consult an expert to be guided in what kind of equipment you shall have in your home.
Meanwhile, if you are serious about having a functional home gym, then you can invest in electric machines that feature a combination of the basic home gym equipment. One of which is the Bowflex PR1000. Let us find out more about this product below:
Bowflex is a brand for various types of equipment pertaining to fitness training. It was from a patent by an engineering student in the United States named Tessema Dosho Shifferaw.
The Bowflex brand is currently being sold by Nautilus Inc. which is based in Vancouver, Washington. It markets its product via direct selling, retail, and international stores.
In 1986, Bowflex created its first product which is the Bowflex 2000X. Today, Bowflex offers dumbbells, cardio machines, and home gym equipment such as the PR 1000.
Bowflex PR1000 Features
The Bowflex PR1000 is a great tool that will add to your cardio training and strengthen the muscles. This was introduced in the market in 2008 and since then people have been giving positive feedback on it. It features about 30 strength exercises and a rowing station that is built-in. It is easy to store right after use.
The company recommends those that are pregnant, have a serious physical condition, or who have not exercised for a long time to check first a physician before using the product.
This gym equipment must only be used three times a week for 20 minutes each day. Proper attire and rubber shoes must be worn every time you use the machine. Stretching and warm up especially of the quads, hamstrings, calf, and Achilles tendon must be observed. Moreover, if you experience shortness of breath, dizziness, headaches, or any pain; stop the exercise immediately and consult a doctor.
The PR 1000 has Power Rod units which are made of rods with black rubber coating and nylon composite material. The rods are marked with its corresponding weight rating on its cap.
It comes with 210 pounds (95 kg) normal resistance which is further composed of two pairs of 10 pounds (4.5 kg) rods, one pair of 5 pounds (2.25 kg) rods, one pair of 50 pounds (22.5 kg) rods, and one pair of 30 pounds (13.5 kg) rods.
The Bowflex PR1000 also features a workout bench. It has three seat positions which are the 45-degree incline, flat bench, and the free sliding seat extension.
To adjust the seat, you need to pull out the rail knob of the seat, slide it in the seat rail, and release the knob to secure it.
In addition, the bench can be released and attached from the seat.
The PR 1000 includes several accessories such as the hand grips and the leg press belt.
It has a standard grip which is commonly used for hammer grip exercises. The hand cuff grip is used in doing front shoulder exercises or any exercises where the palm faces down. Apart from the hand grips, the equipment also enables foot grip.
Meanwhile, the leg press belt with D-rings and cable clips can be worn around the lower part of the back near the spine.
Bowflex PR1000 Specifications
The color of the product is red and black and its frame is made of heavy-duty steel. Meanwhile, the seat and the grips are made of leather and foam pads.
Its length when not in use is 82″ (208 cm). Meanwhile, when it is in use, the length is 103″ (262 cm) while the width is 80″ (203 cm). The height of the product is 82″ (209 cm) and the weight is 131 pounds (59.5 kg).
The company can ship the product in the United States only. Its box weight is 145 pounds (65.8 kg) and the box dimensions is 54″ x 33″ x 8 x (137 cm x 84 cm x 21 cm). Its maximum user weight is up to 300 pounds (136 kg) and the item requires a workout space of about 100″ x 78″.
The item can be assembled by two persons but it includes an assembly manual for instructions. It includes lock nuts and bolts inside the package. You’ll need Philips screwdrivers and wrenches in the assembly, which is not included in the package. The company also recommends to set-up the tool in a hard and level surface.
It includes 26 parts such as the bench, base platform, foam roller pads, leg extension, roller tube, and others. The company offers a one-year warranty on the frame, 60-day warranty on the parts, and five-year warranty on the Power Rods.
Pros of Bowflex PR1000
- Made of high-quality materials- Its frame, Power Rods, and cables are made of heavy-duty steel. In addition, the seat and the handles are made of premium leather and foam padding which gives comfort to the users. It is tear-resistant and won’t easily wear out.
- Exercises for different body parts- Another benefit is that the PR 1000 offers user to burn calories and build strength with its 30 exercises. You can exercise your muscles in any angle (low, mid, and high). With the various exercises offered, users won’t get bored with monotonous routine unlike what other brand offers.
- Power rods are better than weights- Studies have shown that power rods provide twice as many muscular benefits in comparison with traditional weights. Just like a rubber band, the further you stretch, the more intense the resistance is. Therefore, more muscles will be trained. In addition, the power rods of PR 1000 has a good range of resistance to work with, from 5 pounds to 210 pounds.
- Easy and convenient to use- It is also easy to use and a perfect fit for casual fitness enthusiasts. The rods are labeled properly and you won’t get confused. There are people who wish to do their own exercises at home with PR 1000 rather than the gym. They would also choose to use PR1000 than run outdoors especially during winter. Many buyers said that with only a few days of using PR1000, they have witnessed changes in their body.
- Economical– It costs below $500 and it includes several tools, accessories, and a manual. It is space-saver and it occupies 100″ x 78″ of the room space. It can be folded and stored in any part of the house when not in use.
Cons of Bowflex PR1000
- Rods are up to 210 pounds only– The rods are limited to 210 pounds only, it cannot be upgraded, and it is made for beginners and not good for advanced muscle builders. For those who wish to have an advance product, you can try the Bowflex Blaze.
- No DVD included– Some buyers said that PR 1000 should have an instructional DVD to help with the exercise routine. There are some who search video on Youtube or other platforms.
In sum, the Bowflex PR1000 is one of the trending home gym equipment nowadays. People choose to buy the PR 1000 to lose weight, build muscles, and be healthy even inside the home. There is a steady increase of fitness enthusiasts that choose to do their routines at home to save time from going to the gym, focus better, and yield more results.
Unlike other brands, the PR 1000 is a revolutionary equipment since it uses Power Rods than metal plates.
The PR 1000 doesn’t have too many bad reviews received from the users. Overall, it trains all parts of the body and makes an exciting journey towards fitness.